About 6 months after I started Pores for Thought, I decided to write a quick post recounting what I felt had been my biggest learnings, as well as some of the tips that I would pass on to other would-be bloggers (you can read all 8 here). Well, can you believe it but it’s been a whole year since then??
I genuinely can’t believe so much time has passed. A year ago I would have been at university, in a constant state of stress over the arrival of final exams. Now I’m working full time in Paris and it all seems like a distant memory. Somehow though, amongst all the craziness, I’ve managed to keep this little blog going, even if I’m not able to post as frequently and consistently as I used to. It seemed a good time to throw in a few other things I’ve picked up along the way, although the majority of these are just amusing realisations that have hit me over the last few months rather than full on tips. Either way, I hope you enjoy the post and maybe you’ll relate to some of these as well!
- You will suddenly spend a lot more on makeup/food/clothes/travelling/whatever it is you blog about… Seriously, ever since I wrote my first post, my makeup collection has continued to expand to new levels. Part of the reason is that I’m always reading other people’s blogs and I’m the worst for when I see something that looks nice, I just have to have it. Write a post promising me this foundation is going to give me flawless skin like J.Lo? I’ll probably be heading to Sephora the next day… The other reason is that as I’ve learned more about beauty and skincare, the more fascinated I’ve become with it and I genuinely just love trying new products and looks! It’s not so great for my bank account though so I have tried to reign it in a little…
- You’ll start to wish on regular occasions that you could just ditch everything else in your life and become a full time blogger… Ok, don’t get me wrong, I love my job, but of course there are days when I just wish i could do this for a living. It’s like the ideal profession! Writing about what I’m interested in, travelling the world and documenting all the exciting things I’m up to… I mean, isn’t that the dream? Sadly, just like being a singer/actress/model, this is very common wishful thinking which will undoubtedly never turn into a reality. Still, I can still sometimes spend 10 minutes daydreaming about being paid to sit in Parisian cafes and wear designer outfits all day…right?
- I’ve learned to really not give a crap about things like followers, likes and comments… So I know this one sounds very much like a cliche, but I used to be very focused on wanting to grow my blog and make it bigger and better (meaning more followers and more traffic). Of course, I still want to do this because I think it’s great to have an aim and work towards something, but I’m much more focused now on writing about what I enjoy and feeling more relaxed about the whole thing. At the end of the day, if you keep writing posts you’re proud of and had fun creating, all those other things will probably follow.
- You can’t be superwoman… Kind of similar to the previous point, I used to beat myself up a bit if I didn’t keep to my blogging schedule and I tried to never miss a day, even if it meant getting up at 6am to quickly fit one in before heading to the library to revise. Since I’ve started full time work though, this just isn’t possible. Sometimes I have to give in and let blogging slip to the bottom of the priority list below getting enough sleep, catching up with friends and family, and taking time out for myself.
- There will always be someone else’s blog which is bigger and better than yours… Try not to compare yourself to other people (this is true in all walks of life!) if you see someone else’s photography or instagram looks amazing, don’t feel bad about yours, take inspiration from it. On the other hand, don’t try and copy others so you lose what’s individual to your own blog. Every successful blog out there probably started off small and amateur so just keep persevering!
I really hope you’ve enjoyed these tips! Let me know what your biggest learnings are since you started blogging??
Thanks for reading! Joanna xxxxx
Watch my latest video 🙂