I know people always seem to say this, but I really cannot quite believe another year has gone by… So much has happened in 2016; it’s just been a complete whirlwind! How strange to think that at the beginning of this year I was preparing to make the big move out to Paris, and now I’ve been back in the UK for 3 whole months *sob*. 2017 has a lot to live up to from my perspective, but here’s hoping it will deliver!
In terms of the beauty world, I feel like I’ve really improved my makeup game this year. I’m always getting requests from friends for tips and product recommendations, and I feel very happy in my current skincare/beauty regime. There’s been some great discoveries this year, but also a few ‘misses’ with products I haven’t been so keen on. I thought I’d round them all up in one big post so you guys can see what I’ll be taking with me into the New Year and what I’ll be leaving behind in 2016…
- OSKIA Renaissance Cleansing Gel: At the beginning of this year, I finally took the plunge and bought this much-raved-about cleanser. I totally see why there is so much hype around this skincare product. It’s quite simply my favourite cleanser of all time.
- Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm: Another cleanser! 2016 was the year I really got into using cleansing balms to remove my makeup as they’re much more gentle than a micellar water or face wipe, and less slippery than an oil. This is my favourite of all the ones I’ve tried and thankfully Santa may have snuck a fresh pot in my stocking this Christmas!
- Urban Decay All Nighter Foundation: I know this foundation has divided people in the beauty world. It seems to be a bit of a marmite product, with some people finding it to be too cakey and oxidising. Personally though, I adore the formula and find it to be the ideal base when I need something matte and long lasting.
- Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer: Having recently used the NARS Creamy Radiant Concealer, this is an amazing dupe for a fraction of the price. With amazing coverage, it’s ideal for disguising dark circles and blemishes.
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder: Ahhh Hourglass. Such a beautiful, luxury brand. This is one expensive face powder but it truly is gorgeous. I have the shade Diffused Light and it sets makeup perfectly while still leaving my skin with a fresh, natural sheen.
- Kevyn Aucoin Sculpting Powder: I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect contour powder for the longest time and I finally found it in this. It’s the right side of grey toned brown to give you that really sculpted, supermodel shape.
- Zoeva Cocoa Blend Eyeshadow Palette: I think Zoeva has been one of my biggest brand discoveries this year. It’s very affordable and extremely high quality; I personally think their eyeshadow formulas are superior to both MAC’s and Urban Decay’s. I honestly think if I could only choose one palette to keep forever, it would be this one.
- Zoeva Luxe Brush Set: Another ‘Hit’ for Zoeva! I invested in their luxe brush set about 6 months ago and I’ve never looked back. Again, I would say these brushes rival MAC’s for their softness and quality. Even though the set itself is fairly expensive, when you think you get 14 brushes, it actually works out pretty cheaply and you get everything you need!
- Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Liner: I completely went off liquid liner over recent years – my eyes are hooded so I found it made them look smaller and too squinty. This has completely changed my view on it though. Using an angled brush just makes this apply so easily, and the lasting power is amazing.
- YSL Babydoll Mascara: My favourite mascara that I’ve tried so far. It naturally lengthens and separates lashes, and best of all, it never smudges! If only it wasn’t so expensive so sadly this can’t be a regular purchase.
- NARS Velvet Lip Glides: This is a little controversial as I’ve only actually owned one of these for about 2 weeks! Despite being a late entrant, I’ve completely fallen in love with this gloss/liquid lipstick hybrid and I even went out and bought myself a second shade in the Boxing Day sales. I can see my collection of these growing substantially in 2017!
- MAC Matte Lipstick in Whirl: If I had to choose the lipstick of 2016, it would be this one. The unique rusty, brown shade is so beautiful and I always get compliments and people asking me what I’m wearing on my lips whenever I wear this. Considering this time last year, I would never have considered wearing a brown lipstick it’s funny that this has now become my fast favourite!
- L’Oreal Paris Infallible Sculpt Contour Kit: I get where L’Oreal were going with this… It’s a cream highlight and contour set, similar to the ABH Cosmetics famous kit. But I just didn’t like this at all! The grey contour shade was really unflattering on my skin tone – unlike the Kevyn Aucoin powder, it just made me look ill. And the white highlight was much to white. It just didn’t work for me!
- NARS Laguna Bronzer: I know loads of people swear by this bronzer, but for me it just didn’t hit the spot. It’s a bit too cool-toned for my skin tone; I didn’t hate it, but I would never repurchase.
- Kat Von D Liquid Lipstick: I bought one of these in New York during my Sephora Haul and was very excited to try it. Unfortunately I just really didn’t like this. I’ll be doing a full review soon, but basically I wasn’t a fan of the formula, the shade or the packaging!
- Bioderma Photoderm Max SPF 50 Sun Mist: I bought this mist/suncreen hybrid as I thought it would be really useful for city life in Paris. The summer months were extremely hot and sunny so UV protection was essential, but applying creams on the go can be a real pain (especially as your hands are often dirty from being on the public metro etc). I thought this mist which you didn’t have to rub in was the perfect solution… Unfortunately though, this left a really greasy, unpleasant film over my skin and left me with a bit of a breakout. I’ll stick to my Kiehl’s one from now on!
I hope you guys enjoyed this post! What were your beauty hits and misses from 2016?
Check back in on Sunday for a new post and I hope you all have a lovely New Year 🙂
Thanks for reading! Joanna xxx